Monday, September 17, 2012

Ode to Race Cars


The Big Race

Dear Dad
I write to inform you of my latest stop
Life on the highway has sure been hard
This last weekend in the hot rod race
I took out the rocket 88
I poled between the little Cobra in front
Than the pink Cadillac behind
When the flag dropped the race was on
The cars flew by built for speed
The crowd cheered for their favorite cars
Sammy crashed in lap fifty four
The Barracuda  threw a rod
A little Corvette traded paint
It hit the Cadillac driven by the black mustache
In the end no one could tell
Mustang Sally ran Maybellene into the wall
The final lap past dead man’s curve
The GTO and the Hot Rod Lincoln were neck and neck
Driving like men in a race with the Devil
But moving like greased lightning’
In her super stock Dodge
Came a little old Lady from Pasadena
I finished fifth behind Stroker Ace
The season ends in one more race
I’ll be motoring East bound and down
I should be loaded up and trucking
But as I sit in the black sunshine
Waiting for the convoy to move
I’ll see you soon
My best to mom
Tell Laura I love her
Your son
Rapid Roy

Hope you enjoyed it, If you want to lave a comment or vote on my next poem topic head on over to my facebook page. Also feel free to discuss the 24 different references to famous or nearly famous driving songs.


No comments:

Post a Comment