Monday, November 19, 2012

Journal

Hey all, So I noticed that I had sort of missed posting a week of my Journal. In order to fix that I'll be making a double post today. Up first election night coverage.


Behind the Scenes

Tonight was probably the coolest thing I’ve done all year. I was at WYSO in Yellow-Springs working on the election coverage for the stations website. If you happened to go to their page and look at either the numbers for Champaign county or Greene county between 9-11, that was all me. Actually it was just a collection of people I was just the guy updating the numbers on the site.

The evening itself was really cool, I had so much fun just getting to look behind the curtain as it were. I saw how the election coverage came in, how they updated it, what news stories they got and which they decided to cover. Being from Ohio, which was a “battleground state” I’d probably had a much more uncertain evening than most. It was fascinating to hear how the election results effected not just the news but the staff. I got to watch them get excited as one candidate would pull ahead and then worried as the other began to move out in front.

There were so many amazing ideas and thoughts being bandied about. Listening to victory and concession speeches. In the end however the election was winding down and the staff was being sent home. I wasn’t there when the results were announced, which happened five minutes after I left so as not to be in the way. I heard the end on my car stereo as I drove home.

Maybe next time.

There's one down and now here's one about a couple of the reports we got to listen to.


Like Dogs and Water

Class tonight was interesting, we got to hear about two of the other students projects for class both of which were pretty fascinating.

First was replacing bottled water with filtration taps. It was interesting to see how the person running the program had to set up the information in the report and pitch to his coworkers in order to get their approval. It was a very slimmed down, bare bones pitch with more information than frills. Of course this was how he went after his audience.

Second was a much more emotional presentation about taking in rescue dogs over pet store “puppy mill” dogs. It was a very moving presentation, with a lot of very heartrending pictures of dogs in various degrees of care.

Next week, is meetings I sort of worked mine in tonight so I wouldn’t have to head back for the meeting. So I wont be going back until the 27th. But then I’m talking about Extra-Life and the awesome experience I had there


No comments:

Post a Comment