Monday, November 5, 2012

So What Are You Doing?


So What Are You Doing?

Got back from class today and been thinking back on what we did. We talked about next Tuesday where we will be live blogging for WYSO during the election. I’ll be on from 9-11 for anyone who wants to check it out. I’ll try and post an internet link on my face book before then.

After that we took a minute to go aver everyone’s project and get a small amount of their research report information. We heard about the difference between buying a rescue dog or a pet shop dog. Puppy mills are horrible things and finding a reputable breeder involves the internet and veterinarians. If I ever get a dog, and quite frankly I’m not really an animal person, I’ll go the shelter route.

We had two students discuss the formation of a student union, and give different information on how both student unions and regular unions are formed. Both very interesting, I’ve never been a real supporter of student unions growing up because high school student unions don’t do anything but prom. Which I think may be where a lot of teenagers get the idea that voting doesn’t do anything. It may actually be why they don’t vote. That is a really involved research process, perhaps for later.

We talked about fraking, which is a process to get natural gas out of the ground or turn water flammable. Since it does both, I’ve never been clear on which is the side effect. Actually to be fair, until I heard the report I had no idea what fraking was. It’s a terrible process and should just stop until they find a better way.

We talked about the attempt to get bottled water taken out of an office building. How much it costs in both cash and environmental effect. We discussed if you have to use bottled water what are the best kinds to use, 2 of the best were surprisingly; Nestle and Gerber. So if you drink bottled water, those are 2 of the best.

We heard about the prohibition on large sodas in New York. The basis of the law is that soda is so bad for you that it needs to be regulated and you can’t purchase any regular soda in a size larger than 16oz. Or drinks; diet soda, ice tea, beer and water, can be served in any size can’t hurt you. Though one could assume that Mayor Bloomberg now would accept that there is such a thing as too much water.

We talked about my project, which you may remember is the Extra Life marathon. I’ll not go into here since it’s already pretty much all over the place in this area.

Finally, we talked about getting people to vote, mostly youths. The difference in the number of people who are registered to vote and actually do is pretty awful. It was pointed out to me, and I will have to mention it to my friend Ron whose research project this is, a number of younger voters aren’t going to because they think you have to vote on every person and issue. There is at least one young man who won’t be voting because he doesn’t want either Obama or Romney as President. It was explained to him that he should vote for someone, but if he didn’t want to he should at least vote for the issues, laws, and taxes. He didn’t know that you could do that.

I kind of feel for the lad, to be honest there have been times I really wished for the Brewester’s Millions “None of the Above” option. Sadly, it does not exist. My what an interesting election it would be if it did.

So what do you think? any opinions or comments leave them below or head on over to my facebook page and leave them there.

No comments:

Post a Comment