Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Ode to Fireworks


I don't exactly remember going to my very first fireworks display, but I do have early memories of sitting out on a blanket with my family in a crowded park to watch the fireworks as they caught the night sky. I remember traffic afterwards, and being to excited to fall asleep in the car. It's a feeling I would get to recreate years later when helping set up and run a fireworks display at a friends farmhouse, where I was caught inside a 30' effect. neither myself or my friend standing next to me were hurt, which is why it was awesome. I honestly can't say which event was more impressive to me. As an adult being inside a ball of red light was pretty awesome but as a child getting to watch the night sky explode was just the most amazing thing I had ever seen.

Dance of the Firelight Fairies

The hushed skies of twilight
Gently twinkling star watching from a distance
A piercing whistle breaks the calm
A flash of crimson breaks the night
Thunderous cacophony of joy rolls across the sky
A tableau of greens blues reds yellows and whites
Like a painters tray explodes across the horizon
Streamers mortars twirlers bangers screamers
Brilliant shapes cascading across over another like children vying for our attention
Bombastic cries of playful noise dance around our heads
Shaking our bodies
Wiggling our teeth
Then silence
And still the images linger when we close our eyes
Clinging to the insides of our eyelids
Refusing to release our childhood



So what do you think of a poem of fireworks? head on over to my facebook page and let me know or leave a comment below. I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment