Saturday, August 12, 2017

RPG a Day 2017 Question 12

What is RPGaDay2017?
I’ll link here to the actual group. Basically, it’s a series of questions that you can answer. There are 31 questions that you can answer to help shine a light on the different reasons people play role-play games. This is my answer to the 12th question. For my full list of answers check here.

Question #12: Which RPG has the most inspiring art?
I don’t normally remember the art in games. I’ve been in this hobby since the ‘70s and I don’t remember a lot of the art used over the years. I will admit that in recent years the interior art has started standing out to me. I think to some degree this is due to the number of Kickstarter games vying for our attention. One of the ones that really stood out to me was Tales from the Loop.


I believe all of the art in Tales is done by Simon Stalenhag. The pieces are amazing. They all completely bring into focus the world of the game while at the same time just being beautiful. They all show a stark world where the technology has gotten a little too advanced a little too quickly.  Most of it mirrors the game by featuring children alone with some sort of monstrosity. There are rarely adults or authority figures in the pieces except for the occasional police officer of patrol car, which in themselves are not always reassuring, especially if you’ve seen a lot of old ‘80s movies.
I love the art in this book and it so perfectly captures a time that never happened anywhere but in the minds of millions of children who grew up in the 1980’s. Children like me.

Though the campaign is gone, you can see a lot of the art from the game here and I recommend going and taking a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment