Wednesday, August 2, 2017

RPG a Day 2017 Question 2

What is RPGaDay2017?
I’ll link here to the actual group. Basically, it’s a series of questions that you can answer. There are 31 questions that you can answer to help shine a light on the different reasons people play role-play games. This is my answer to the 2nd question. For my full list of answers check here.

What is an RPG you’d like to see published?

I have two answers for this, one specific and one general. The specific one first since it will be the faster of the two. I want to play an RPG of Overwatch. I want the slightly futuristic, wild powers and abilities, heroic figures facing off in exotic locations. I love the idea of making my own agent and going into that world to battle the forces of Talon and deal with the politics of Omnic’s and people, the crime that’s over taken the world, and the idea that Overwatch isn’t a welcome return. People hate them for what Reaper and the Blackwatch did. The idea of being a group that shows up to help and the people we’re trying to help may be resistant and outright hostile to us appeals to me.
The general category I’d like is a straight spy game. I’d like it somewhere between Bond and Mission Impossible, TV series not movies. Actually, now that I think about it, the MI movies are half way between the TV series and the Bond films. I want modern day spies, gadgets, over the top villains, and wild plots to take over the world, manipulate the stock market, or topple governments. There have been attempts at this, Spy Craft from AEG was a lot of fun but suffered from a class of spy, the Driver, which felt totally unnecessary it till it was absolutely required. The Driver only functioned in a car or other vehicle. They could do some espionage work outside of a vehicle but most theirs skills were vehicle specific. Driver’s never felt like they were being useful. The reverse problem, vehicle combat and chases, required a driver and the different tricks and talents only they got. If you didn’t have one, the team felt like they weren’t accomplishing anything.
I want a spy game that may have a class system, but allows every class and player to feel like they’re always helping. I know that there’s a bit of a problem there because someone might want to play the guy at the keyboard with the wall of monitors who talks into the other player’s ears. How do you make it so they always feel like they’re contributing if they’re not there?
I know there are other spy games out there right now. Every one I’ve found is a spies with a twist, it’s the X-Files, Men in Black, there are Illuminates, mystic organizations, Lovecraftian death cults, or vampires. It’s never some mad man with a cat who wants to control the UN.

Anyway, that’s what I want to play. If you know any way I can, please leave a comment either below or on my Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment