Wednesday, August 9, 2017

RPG a Day 2017 Question 9

What is RPGaDay2017?
I’ll link here to the actual group. Basically, it’s a series of questions that you can answer. There are 31 questions that you can answer to help shine a light on the different reasons people play role-play games. This is my answer to the 9th question. For my full list of answers check here.

Question #9: What is a good RPG to play for about ten sessions?

I’m oddly caught in a middle ground on this one. There are a lot of games I can think of that play over long campaigns. Similarly, I can think of a lot of games that work great for one evening. I would say Through the Breach, which has the built in timeline of five session per player. However, I used it already and wanted to try and talk about new stuff where possible. I think what you want for a ten session game is a one that encourages a strong narrative but has the feel of reaching a conclusion. After thinking about it for a while I came up with Spirt of 77.
77 is a wonderful game where you’re basically living through all the best shows of the 1970’s and 80’s. Your characters are flashy, over the top, and bizarre. They fill the world with their egos and personalities. You want to be a trucker with a monkey? We can do that. Want to play cousins with a fast car? We got you. Want to play a rock and roll alien who’s come to Earth to solve crime? Welcome to the table.

The game lends itself to an episodic feel with a slight thread that combines all of the adventures, much like a season of television. At the end you learn that everything was connected and the mastermind behind it was really the local corrupt mayor and his sheriff stooge. Once you’ve beaten him it feels done. It feels like you’ve finished your story and can go on hiatus until next season. When a group of oil barons are working behind the scenes to disrupt your small town in order to drill for the riches located beneath the youth center.

No comments:

Post a Comment