Friday, August 31, 2012

One Small Step For Me


One Small Step For Me

Well, today I become a blogger. (And the world cried in terror at the thoughts that would be shared.) I’ve been thinking about doing this for a while now but finally took the plunge for two reasons. Since I had entered into my second year of education as a writer it seemed like the thing I really needed to do to give myself an outlet for my writing and expression. Additionally, it was assigned by Nathan Singer my Social Media and Activism professor. I realize that the second option really forced the first but it’s like asking which came first the chicken or the zebra.

So for those of you who are curious here’s a little about me and what I plan for the blog. Quite frankly, I’m amazing. You may not know that yet, but you will if you keep reading. In addition to that I’m currently a student at Antioch University in Yellow-Springs Ohio where I studying Creative Writing. I worked as a bagger at a local grocery store for some eleven years until one day they asked me politely to leave. I don’t really blame them, I did show up late to work for eleven straight years and when you do that you tend to get fired a lot sooner than that. In the end though I wonder if I wasn’t trying to get fired. (I did wear a Hawaiian shirt over my uniform for three weeks before anyone noticed.) In the end I was actually quite happy with the decision to leave and looked forward to a new future. That future eventually consisted of me becoming a student.

I’m told I’m charming, funny, and intelligent. I would disagree but that would be rude. I leave it to you to decide if that’s true or not. Since this is my first blog I’m not sure if there is a way to post comments below, if there’s not shoot over to Facebook and let me know what you think. I promise to try and respond.

As for the blog itself I intend to post some of my writing, thoughts, and ideas. I intend to post something of substance when I can. Hopefully I’ll be able to make it look pretty. I will warn you now my arch nemesis’ are grammar, punctuation, and spelling.  So I will apologize in advance for those fellows popping up from time to time. (As a side not Damn you auto correct.) I tend to be funny. I try to be funny. I hope I’m funny. But humor is one of the most subjective forms of anything on the planet, second only to pizza toppings.

I also intend to post about what’s going on in my life, for example I have a class on Social Media and Activism and I’m going to talk about that. Tonight for example we talked about Arab Springs and how Twitter and Facebook helped those protest along. It was really interesting and I recommend you look into it. Basically there were a series of protests in the middle east where people used social media to organize and post  demonstrations which caused the current powers that be to have no idea what they were doing. They had little to no experience with the internet and weren’t prepared to deal with the situation. If you don’t think something positive can come from the internet ask the first ever Elected officials in Tunisia and Egypt what they think.

We also touched on what else we’ll be doing over the course of the semester, and apparently I’ll be performing some sort of activism which may involve a pod cast or video of some sort and I will attach it to this page as soon as I figure out how. I’ll be doing some election night blogging for WYSO radio station in November. I’m really looking forward to this class. I think it’s going to be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment