Saturday, December 8, 2018

Holiday Advent Story 8


“I want it now,” screamed the Barbarian King.
“Of course my lord,” said the Village Elder. “It’s just we’re not sure exactly what you want.”
“”Love,” said the Barbarian King. “Bring it to me.”
The King was tall and powerful. His muscles glistened in the light of the large bonfire that had been built in the center of his massive yurt. He sat on a tall throne forged of steel and decorated with skulls, antlers, and other trophies from his conquests. The sides of the yurt had been raised so his horde could gather around and watch the villagers and laugh at their failures.
The village elder bowed again. “We have Melinda,” said the Elder motioning towards a young woman standing in the crowd. “She is our most beautiful girl. She will gladly go with you to spare our village.”
The King rose from his throne and walked towards the woman. He walked around her judging her as one might a calf at auction.
Melinda was the most beautiful woman in the village. When she gained marrying age many of the young men had sought to court her.
The King stopped in front of her. “Tell me girl, do you love me?”
“Yes, my lord,” said Melinda.
“I am all you think of?” asked the King.
“As you command, my lord,” said Melinda.
The paused and took a deep breath. Then he screamed, “WHO IS IT THAT HOLDS YOUR HEART! TELL ME HIS NAME OR I SHALL BURN THIS VILLAGE TO THE GROUND!”
Melinda backed away, arms held up to shield her from the King. “Malcolm. I love Malcolm.”
“THEN GO TO HIM NOW.”
Melinda stood and ran from the tent.
The King turned to the Elder. “The sun sets behind the mountains shortly.” The King walked to his throne and sat on it. “Once it is gone, my men will sack your village. We will burn it to the ground and leave no one alive. Bring me what I ask for and you avoid this.”
“My lord,” said the Elder. “We simply don’t know how to fulfill your demand.”
“How is this hard to understand?” asked the King. “Love; that is what I want. Is there no one in this village who can do this?”
“I can,” called a small voice from the crowd.
Several people moved to hush the voice and harsh whispers were heard from the crowd.
“Who said that,” demanded the King.
The elder quickly moved between the King and the place in the crowd where the call had come from. “It was nothing my lord. Just a small child.”
“Let him pass.”
“I beg you my lord. He is but a boy. He does not know any better.”
“Are you afraid that if he approaches me and is wrong that I will kill him?” asked the King.
“No,” said the Elder. “Not at all. It’s just we wouldn’t want to… yes, my lord we are.”
“If you do nothing I will kill you all,” said the King. “Let the boy try and fail. Better that than die wondering if you could have saved everyone.” The King turned to the crowd. “Let. Him. Through.”
The crowd parted and a young boy walked forward. Hs mother wept her hands reaching out to the boy as he walked towards the King.
“Tell me boy what is your name?”
“Alton,” said the boy.
“Can you fulfill my demand of love?”
Alton reached into his pocket and pulled out a small ball of fur. He walked to the King and held out his hands and the ball of fur. The King reached down and let Alton place the ball in his hand.
The King raised the ball to his face to get a closer look. When it was closer the ball rolled over and stretched, it was a puppy; small and golden. The puppy stumbled up on to its feet and looked at the King. The puppy sniffed the King’s face and then licked his nose. Then licked it again and again.
“His name is Eeyore,” said Alton.
The King stood and turned to his men. “This village is safe. Tonight we feast and tomorrow we return home.”
The men cheered.

end 
Bring Me Love

No comments:

Post a Comment