Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Holiday Advent Story 11


Once a year, around this time, when I’m alone on a dark night. Sitting at home watching a dark night sail past my window. I focus on the lights, decorations, and the presents that surround my tree. When I’m thinking back over the year and remember the things I’ve done and people in my life. I make large mug of hot chocolate, sit under a blanket on my comfy couch and I remember a boy.
A young man really. His story is one told to me as a way of warning. I tell it now to you.
The young man in question had a Grandmother who he rarely spoke to. On his birthday she would call and they would speak for a small amount of time; minutes at best. At the holidays when they would find themselves in each other’s company they would exchange pleasantries. Other than that, they rarely spoke.
For the young man it was never his intention to not speak with his Grandmother. He loved her dearly, and hoped she knew that. On occasion he would think of calling her and talking. In the end he never did. Years past them both by and they rarely spoke.
One day, when he was gathered with friends and family, someone asked him if he ever called, visited, or spoke to her at a family functions. The young man responded that he had considered it but he never did. When asked why he only replied, “I would, but I don’t know what we would talk about.”
He left the room after that and went to sit elsewhere in the house. After he had gone, one of his family spoke, “I once asked her the same question,” they said. “She gave the exact same answer.”
One year the young man brought a girl with him to Christmas. His Grandmother on meeting the girl spoke with the young man. A few days after Christmas, she called him again and asked how the young lady had been doing. After he answered the two spoke for nearly three hours. They spoke of his school, her retirement, health, books, and much more.
The relationship ended, as young relationships often do. The young man and his Grandmother rarely spoke. They returned to their old pattern. The young man would occasionally think of the phone and his Grandmother, but he never called her.
Sometime after that the Grandmother went away, Grandmother’s often do. The young man had been unable to talk to her. It was after this one cold Christmas season that he thought back on the time when he had a girlfriend and what it had meant to talk to his grandmother about her. The things they talked about then, when they could relate to one another.
He wondered why it had taken the existence of another person to let him talk to his Grandmother about things such as school, retirement, and books.
He mourned her. He mourned the relationship he might have had if he had simply put aside the idea that they had nothing to talk about and simply call her to ask what she’d had for lunch and see where the conversation went.
I remember this story to remind me of the relationships in my life so that I will try and make a better effort to connect to the ones I love. I know the young man in the story has lost something and I hope one day that he will be okay with what he lost. Of course, I may never know if he did. In truth I’m not sure I want to. Learning the truth may reveal a disappointment. It may not.
Until I figure it out, I’ll sit here, wrapped in my blanket, with my large mug of hot chocolate, and I shall remember them and hope it makes me a better man.
Thank you Dorothy, you are missed.


end
Hot Chocolate

No comments:

Post a Comment