Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A Well Pressed Metaphor


A Well Pressed Metaphor

Tonight we studied irony. We talked about nice pleats, good cuffs, and straight seams. We also talked about what makes Thomas Swift a rotten baby sitter. If you haven’t read a Modest Proposal I suggest you check it out.

The discussion broke down into two ideas, that sort of define irony or ironic speech/writing. The three pieces of irony, which is having a result that is the exact opposite of the expectations. There’s sarcasm, satire, and parody. Satire is defined as using language and literary means to illicit positive social change. I suppose if you define positive by the person who wrote the piece, then yes. Though I would think some people write satire just to be dicks. We also debated whether Alanis Morissette was a genius or an fool.  Since the song Ironic has no irony in it, which is quite ironic, don’t you think….

I’ve always liked parody Airplane, Blazing Saddles, and my all time favorite Loaded Weapon 1. Which is the skewering of an idea or genre without any attempt at social change. I like the idea of looking at a genre in a new way or new fashion and I find parody is usually the first step to doing something a little differently.

Finally we talked about the upcoming debate, I usually watch the debates, so this ends up being homework I was going to do anyway. I’m hoping both candidates are on their game, I like my debates spirited and informational. Certainly I’ll be checking politafacts.com in a day or so to see how accurate each participant was. I’m interested to see what Romney does here as he tends to poll as arrogant. Which gives him a pretty powerful tool in my mind, since no matter what he does he’ll be seen as arrogant he might as well just be arrogant. It should be interesting.

So tell me what you think, are you going to watch the debates? have you already seen them, and how do you think they're going? Head on over to facebook and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment