Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Extra Mail


Hey all, I just got his amazing letter from the folks at extra-life talking about an event that gets run every year and I wanted to share it whit all of you.

Hello Steve!
I just had the best week, and I wanted to share some of it with you.
Each year, Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals selects a Champion from each of the 50 states and all Canadian Provinces, and Delta Airlines flies them all to Washington D.C. to meet the president and then to Orlando for “Celebration”.
These are kids who have been through things that most of us cannot imagine, but have emerged on the other side of their medical challenges with a winning spirit and an infectious enthusiasm for life.
As part of that Celebration each of these amazing kids are presented with a medal at a ceremony attended by THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of people. We are talking standing room only!
This year’s event was hosted by Nick Cannon and Jordan Sparks. As a member of the CMN Hospitals staff, we all wear a lot of hats, and this year I somehow ended with the “Alphabetize all of the kids for their medals” hat.
I’d wear that hat again for sure.
As I was helping these kids who ranged in age from 3 to 16 years old get ready it occurred to me that by any measure, many of these kids shouldn’t be here with us any more.
But they are.
They are alive and they are healthy, and their moms and dads are getting to celebrate birthday after birthday with their precious kids…
They are getting to do that because of you.
Because you didn’t sit idly by and let other people fill the world up with good.
Because you decided to matter in the lives of kids who live right down the street, in your town.
Because you cared.
Thank you.
Thank you for Sydnie, and Sim, and Kayla, and all of the new friends that I got to meet last week.
I can’t turn on a TV anymore without seeing things with the words “Brought to you by” followed by the name of a yogurt or chemical company.
But as I played with the kids, and then watched through relentless tears as they ran (YES RAN!) on stage to receive their medals, I realized that this experience was “Brought to you by….”
You.
Thanks for that.
We are just a few weeks removed from our 5th annual Extra Life event on October 20th. Please remember that each dollar you raise is another important raindrop in thunderstorm of hope that is brewing for sick and injured kids. Please don’t let the satisfaction of reaching your fundraising goal deter you from raising it, meeting it again, and raising it again
There isn’t one minute of one day to waste… not when the stakes are so high.
Talk to you in a few days…

I hope you enjoyed the letter, and please if you have sometime I could use some help. I'm taking part in the extra-life gaming marathon on October 20th and would love to get some more sponsors. Certainly I've reached my personal goal of $200 but any additional funds would definitely be going to a good place. You can sponsor me specifically at Team Mayniacs, go to the home site and start your own group, or you can go here to donate directly to the extra life charity group. We'd love your help.  

No comments:

Post a Comment