Thursday, August 3, 2017

RPG a Day 2017 Question 3

What is RPGaDay2017?
I’ll link here to the actual group. Basically, it’s a series of questions that you can answer. There are 31 questions that you can answer to help shine a light on the different reasons people play role-play games. This is my answer to the 3rd question. For my full list of answers check here.

Question #3: How do I find out about new RPG’s?

For the most part, the internet. More specifically, various YouTube channels are great for this. Itmejp has a wonderful play series called One Shot where they play different games, I’ve learned about Maid, Through the Loop, Apocalypse World, and World Wide Wrestling through them. I enjoy Geek & Sundry for different things posted on Table Top, or many of the articles they’ve written that have pointed out things to me, like Misspent Youth, Dread, and Star Trek Adventures. Beyond that Kickstarter has some wonderful RPG’s that I enjoy checking out, I backed The Land of Yeld through them. Outside of the internet, I talk to my friends and people at the game store. Never underestimate the useful tool that is other human beings.
I haven’t done it in a long time, but playing in smaller games at conventions is always useful. I found Brendan LeSalle and Panda Head Publishing at their first Origins and played in the premier Buckeye Crawl. I still talk about ziplinning into a room a room with orcs ziplinning in from the opposite direction. I played Weapons of the Gods for the first time at GenCon. I tried out Spy Craft at a convention, I think it was GenCon. I played a really interesting mafia game at a local convention at Wright State. Never be afraid to wander a convention’s vendor hall and find the little booths off to one side and ask what they’ve got and if they’re running it somewhere, they will be thrilled to have you and you may have just found your new favorite game.
Finally, I look to FreeRPG Day every year. It is so worth going to your local store and taking part in the day. I want to be clear on this, take part in the day. So often people show up in the first fifteen minutes, grab every free thing they can get, and leave. Stay and play things. I always volunteer to run two tables and usually only get one. I played Dungeon Crawl Classics for the first time at FreeRPG Day, I own the book now. I’ve played Saga, Lamentations of a Flame Princess (which was tricky in a family friendly public space), a weird X-Files like spy game. Every year there’s something I haven’t heard of at FreeRpg Day, I don’t always get to play it, but it’s always something new.
That’s my list. Let me know where you look in the comments or on Facebook. I’m always looking for new places.

No comments:

Post a Comment