Thursday, August 12, 2021

RPG a Day #12 Think

I’m going to try and take part in the #RPGaDay writing prompts for 2021. The idea is there’s a prompt every day that asks you to write about something in RPG’s you really like. There are a couple of alternate prompts offered but I’m going to try and do the main one every day. If you want to try it yourself, you can head here for the calendar for this year.



I talked about this a little in an earlier post. I really like games that make me think differently. I’ve spent a lot of my early years with gaming in a cycle of enter room, kill bad guys, and take their stuff. It didn’t matter wat game we were playing they all sort of worked that way.

I started in D&D where this was pretty much the default for us at the time. After that we dabbled in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles where we didn’t get a lot of loot, but the other two steps were still pretty much the same. For a while we played Shadowrun and even though there was some new thinking in that game. We needed to talk to the client, gather information, and plan the job. After that it was enter the room, kill the bad guys, and take their stuff. It never really changed.

The first game that really shifted the needle for me on this was Legend of the Five Rings. My first character for L5R was a drunken samurai duelist. I was designed to fight people and take their stuff. For the first couple of sessions that’s what I was. I looked for a place to get into a fight. I waited for my moment to get in there and smite my foes. We eventually got it; sort of. We were attacked by a group of monks and a demon. Everyone else immediately leapt into the fight with the monks. I charged at the demon.

This was my first interaction with combat in L5R and this is where I learned just how deadly the game can be. I’m not going to get to deep into the mechanics here but I will say that a fluke roll allowed me to do around 80 damage. In a game where most of us could take around 10 points I had done 80. I would realize a bit later that if I could do that much damage on a lucky roll then so could everything in the game. I couldn’t just kick in the door, kill the bad guys, take their stuff, and repeat.

I needed to play in a way where combat was to be avoided. I needed to think differently. That led me to paying more attention to the setting and how my reputation reflected on my family and how their reputation reflected on me. I was suddenly the very public custodian of my family’s reputation. I was also drafted into service for the Emerald Champion, the head of the Emperor’s security. Which meant that my actions reflected on her and in turn on the Emperor. Which meant that if I pulled the kick, kill, and take plan then I was making them look bad and the consequences of that were very decisive.

I had to start thinking like someone who had grown up in this world. Someone who was very aware of the negative consequences of these expectations. I needed to adjust to the idea of court, poetry, and art. We role played a tea ceremony because it was part of the ritual for the events in one particular adventure. These are the things I would not have thought of before this. The game had mechanics to reinforce thinking in a way that worked in this world.

I have more stories from this campaign than almost any other I played in because it was the first time I really had to get into the characters head space. I had to learn to think like my character.

I really enjoyed this experience and it’s colored all of my gaming moving forward from that point. I actively look for those games that make me adjust my thought and decision process to focus on how this world makes things work. I don’t always find it, but when I do, those games are precious gems in my experience. They also make some of the best stories.

I’ll be back tomorrow with my thought on flood.

Until then, stay safe and be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment