Monday, August 23, 2021

RPG a Day 2021 #23 Memory

 

I’m going to try and take part in the #RPGaDay writing prompts for 2021. The idea is there’s a prompt every day that asks you to write about something in RPG’s you really like. There are a couple of alternate prompts offered but I’m going to try and do the main one every day. If you want to try it yourself, you can head here for the calendar for this year.



My first memory of playing a role play game was the old red box D&D. It was a present for my birthday. I was 9 or 10 and my mom found it. I’d never heard of Dungeons & Dragons. I don’t know where she heard about it or saw it but she knew I liked fantasy and she wanted me to read more. D&D offered both of those things.

I didn’t go well. My friends, my brother, and I tried to play in the back yard but we didn’t really click with how the game worked. We were so bad at it that even though I was the dungeon master I we were all looking over the module to figure out what was going on.

This led to other things. I found hobby board games and miniature gaming from this. I met friends I still talk to today. I eventually found my way back to RPG’s. I came back to Palladium and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I floated around there for a while before finding my way back to D&D. There were other games; many I’ve talked about this month.

But I still think back to sitting in the grass in my back yard. My friends gathered around and us trying to figure out what to do next.

I’ll be back tomorrow talking about translate…maybe.

Until then, stay safe and be well.


No comments:

Post a Comment