Tuesday, August 24, 2021

RPG a Day #24 Translate

 

I’m going to try and take part in the #RPGaDay writing prompts for 2021. The idea is there’s a prompt every day that asks you to write about something in RPG’s you really like. There are a couple of alternate prompts offered but I’m going to try and do the main one every day. If you want to try it yourself, you can head here for the calendar for this year.



Recently I’ve been developing my own setting for D&D. The idea behind my setting is the modern world is invaded by orcs and other monsters. This event causes chain of circumstances to unfold and ends with my players being thrust into a world where they have to deal with magic, monsters, and a world that isn’t safe anymore and how they’d deal with that.

Part of the challenge for this setting is coming up with the altered familiar. This ended being things in two categories, real world things that have been altered to the new setting and D&D staples that have been shifted to fit the real world. This led to me figuring out how to translate D&D into modern society. I’m translating monsters, spell, and even adventures into our modern world.

Translating the real world to D&D actually ended up being far easier than the other way around. Part of the inspiration for the setting is a series of videos by Ginny Di on D&D aesthetic and how it would look in a modern world. I’ll link to it here. Part of what made the idea work for me is by limiting the characters to teenagers as you would in old school traditional D&D. This opened up a world of ideas.

The first was treasure. I didn’t want teenagers digging through every monsters pocket for loose change after a fight. I decided that all adventure and dungeon crawling functioned on Vimeo. Whenever a monster is killed all of its money is deposited evenly in the players Vimeo accounts. It was a nice solve.

Second was language and part of why teenagers work so well. All of the characters get a couple of bonus languages; text and emoji. For the start of my campaign all the characters will be human. This will certainly change later but this is how we’re starting. Since I still wanted them to be able to talk to other races and characters those two languages are universal. I also created a new item a magic compact. It’s a small hand held compact similar to you would find in any makeup store. Except the mirror is magic and linked to a network of other similar magical items. For some reason, to be revealed later, cellphones connect to this network. Additionally, all D&D races speak Arkinian, or the language standard to the Commonwealth. A human centric empire that spans worlds. Arkinina and English are exceptionally similar. Again for reasons that will be identified during the campaign.

These were small bits of the things I translated for my campaign. I have several new takes on magic items like a motorcycle helmet of comprehend languages that translates anything heard into subtitles on the inside of the visor. Spells have gotten a shift over such as Vecna’s Voice Mail which functions similar to Magic Mouth but records the message on your voice mail.

I’ve translated characters such as Halaster, the Mad Mage, who instead of building dungeons to lead adventures into his traps is an app developer who creates deadly challenge peppered around the world that the app will direct people to. I’m even playing around with the idea of translating Curse of Strahd to a small New England town where the players might get invited by a distant relative. Maine and Barovia are probably sister locals.

I’m even playing around with the idea of translating non-D&D adventures into my world. I could easily see a couple of Shadowruns fitting into this setting. Or possibly one or two Vampire scenarios, since I’m planning on having a little bit of politics play out in their home town.

Taking these different ideas and translating them to my campaign has been a lot of fun. I’m looking forward to seeing it to fruition and learning how it will all work in the end. Plus I kind of want to see Strahd with a New England accent…crap, I just realized I’d be the one doing the accent…I wonder if I can get a guest NPC to come in as Strahd?

Anyway, I’ll be back tomorrow for Tradition.

Until then, stay safe and be well.


No comments:

Post a Comment