Saturday, August 14, 2021

RPG a Day #14 Safety

 

I’m going to try and take part in the #RPGaDay writing prompts for 2021. The idea is there’s a prompt every day that asks you to write about something in RPG’s you really like. There are a couple of alternate prompts offered but I’m going to try and do the main one every day. If you want to try it yourself, you can head here for the calendar for this year.



If there was ever a topic as weirdly contested as Safety Tools I’m not sure what it is. Personally, I’ve never used them. For the most part, I’ve been in the fortunate position to play with friends who I’ve known for a long time and we know what topics to avoid and if something strays to far are all comfortable enough to call it out. In short, I’ve found them unnecessary in my games.

I did run a local D&D Adventure Society at my Friendly Local Game store, Bookery Games in Fairborn, Ohio. We didn’t use them there but there were two reasons for that. First, the group predated the safety tools we have today. Secondly, the Adventure Society and the Bookery had some pretty clear rules on behavior and standards of conduct. Which both kept anything that might have necessitated safety tools from being necessary.

That said, just because I haven’t used them doesn’t mean I’m opposed to them either. If I were running at a convention or local group I can see using these. I think that when playing with people who you don’t know well, this is a great way to make sure everyone has a fantastic time. Who doesn’t want everyone at the table to have fun?

Part of why I’m all for these tools and why I use trigger warnings in some of the stories I’ve written is from some things I’ve seen outside of gaming. Now, I won’t be naming anyone specifically. I also won’t be talking about a specific incident here, but I will make a couple of references to other people’s reactions.

I’ve witnessed people come in contact with things that have hurt them in the past. I’ve witnessed people come in contact with references to things that have hurt them. When I say hurt, I’m talking about long term deep physical and emotional scars. I have watched full grown confident adults who were some of the strongest people I’ve ever met freeze at the sound of someone’s voice. I’ve seen the terror in their eyes and how pale their skin got. I’ve seen the aftermath. I’ve watched the pain in real time.

It takes less than a second for someone to go from perfectly functioning adult, with all of the accomplishments and ideals that go along with that and revert to a terrified wreck who just wants to run as fast and as far as they can. It’s heartbreaking to see. Its soul crushing to feel the fingers of one of the strongest people you know dig into your arm because they don’t want to stay and can’t get their legs to move. Then when it’s over and your somewhere they feel safe and watching the tears come and knowing that if you start crying it’ll only make things worse is something I can’t begin to explain.

I think safety tools are important because of that.

Now if you don’t use them, I get that too. Like I said, I’ve never used them in my games. Since I’ve learned of them I’ve only played with longtime friends. But I get not wanting to use them. If your group doesn’t need them, more power to you.

I’ve even heard the arguments against them. People need to toughen up, get over it, or learn to accept how the real world works. I’m not trying to diminish that opinion, but I think that anyone who says that has never experienced the things I’ve seen. They’ve never really seen that pain and don’t understand how bad it gets and what it means.

It’s an experience they’ve been blessed with not knowing. In some ways I envy them not having felt that terror. But because I have seen it, I have a different opinion. I’ve seen helpless and I never want to make anyone feel that way.

That’s why, as the world opens up again and we start heading back to conventions I’ll start including some new tools in my bag. Maybe my table will use them, maybe we won’t need to. But I’d rather have them and not need them than the other way around.

Hell, just look at the last line of all of my post over the past year or so to see how I view safety.

That’s my thoughts on this. Tomorrow, I’ll be back to talk about supplements.

Until next time. Stay safe and be well.


No comments:

Post a Comment