Sunday, August 1, 2021

RPG a Day 2021 #1 Scenario

August 1st


I’m going to try and take part in the #RPGaDay writing prompts for 2021. The idea is there’s a prompt every day that asks you to write about something in RPG’s you really like. There are a couple of alternate prompts offered but I’m going to try and do the main one every day. If you want to try it yourself, you can head here for the calendar for this year.



I’ve been gaming for a ton of years, since the late 70’s early 80’s. There’ve been a lot of adventures I’ve played over the year and I considered several. Pool of Radiance for 2nd edition D&D was one of the first massive adventures my group finished. Harlequin from Shadowrun is one of the best experiences my friend Scot ever ran. I particularly love Las Vegas Crawl from X Crawl. I even considered talking about some of the battle interactives I played in from the old Adventures Guild but those are more about the experience than the story.

However, I decided to talk about the Hunt. This was a D&D Adventures Guild scenario from 4th edition. I really loved this scenario. It was my go to adventure when running the game for new players or people who wanted me to throw together a quick adventure. I’ve probably run it at least six times and would do so again if you asked me to.

The Hunt was a simple premise, the party is taking part in a hunting challenge. They’ll head into the jungle, follow tacks, and attempt to bring back the most impressive kill. There’s a slight mid-adventure fight where the party gets jumped by another group of hunters. The middle fight is tense and challenging against a team of distinct adventures. After that they keep heading into the jungle and find the final encounter.

The boss fight is affected by how well they do in a couple of skill challenges, how difficult they try to make it one themselves, and what level the party is at. I like that the players can choose to make the final fight more or less difficult. The adventure has several brackets to adjust the difficulty for the party based on their level so you can have as tense a time with a level 1 party as a level 20. I also particularly loved the boss at the end. I’ll not list them here since I don’t want to spoil it if it ever comes back in fashion or you manage to hunt a copy down for yourself.

I really enjoy this adventure and have very fond memories of it. Yes, it was originally set for 4th edition and that will be a reason some players never saw it. However, if you find it and it’s been or you don’t mind updating it to your chosen edition then I think you’ll have a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment