Thursday, August 19, 2021

RPG a Day #19 Theme

 

I’m going to try and take part in the #RPGaDay writing prompts for 2021. The idea is there’s a prompt every day that asks you to write about something in RPG’s you really like. There are a couple of alternate prompts offered but I’m going to try and do the main one every day. If you want to try it yourself, you can head here for the calendar for this year.




There’s a lot of ways to use theme when writing adventures. For myself I tend to weave theme into anything I run in two different ways. Either by the concepts I weave into the narrative or the recurring types of encounters. Though I suppose the second one could be more considered aesthetic.

For the first one, I like to focus on the ways in which my players interact with things and how the world around them reflects those ideas back at them. In a Through the Breach campaign I designed I had a focus on family in my game. The overall idea behind the campaign was built around them being assembled by a professor in Malifaux to work as an investigative team working out of his manor house. I wanted the campaign to focus on the mystery but I wanted family to be a big part of the story.

Part of bringing this idea across was to use their first case as a way of introducing the idea of family to the party. They were going to investigate a stolen painting. While doing so they’d discover that the thief was being forced to steal the art by a local crime faction. When the thief turns up dead so he couldn’t reveal who his employers were I was going to arrange for his widow and son to be brought into the house as NPC’s by the professor. This was going to be how I started to inform family as part of the story.

I wanted the game to have this background focus on how family effects the decisions we make and the things in our lives. Even the villain for that campaign was partially motivated by their relationship with their family.

The other way I use theme is by how I add motif to specific adventures. I’ll have something that pops up over and over as a way of foreshadowing things that are coming. One adventure I enjoy for doing this is from Tales from the Loop. Spoilers for the first adventure in the main rule book will be found in the next paragraph.

In that adventure there is a recurring bird motif; birds show up everywhere. They’re decorations in houses, books on tables, and they show up in the description of the various locals. As the group travels through the adventure they’ll eventually come across birds as part of the antagonists plan. Hostile birds start showing up in town. But by the time the first bird attack happens, the players will have already seen some reference to birds a couple of times.

Moments like those, that subtly suggest what’s coming without saying it, are some of my favorite. You can also find a great example of foreshadowing themes in a recent episode of the Dungeons and Daddies podcast. Though that one is by the players and not the DM.

I think these things are important in helping build a great narrative. Though even if your group doesn’t play for story and just enjoys a good dungeon crawl the use of theme can be a great addition to the flow of the dungeon. I think back to the old days of D&D where random monsters lived in complex cave systems with no real logic behind what was where or how it got there. You know the maze of 10 foot hall ways that lead to a single massive room with a giant living inside of it despite the fact that there’s no way for them to reach that room.

However, that’s a rant for another day. I’ll see you all tomorrow for foundation.

Until next time. Stay safe and be well.


No comments:

Post a Comment