Wednesday, August 4, 2021

RPG a Day #4 Weapon

I’m going to try and take part in the #RPGaDay writing prompts for 2021. The idea is there’s a prompt every day that asks you to write about something in RPG’s you really like. There are a couple of alternate prompts offered but I’m going to try and do the main one every day. If you want to try it yourself, you can head here for the calendar for this year.




I thought about this topic for a while. I’ve had a lot of discussions over the years with friends about the different weapons my characters have used in role play games. I’ve been accused of playing sub optimally based on weapon choices. My mage in Shadowrun used a Remington Roomsweeper, in Rift’s I used dual pistols, and in Legend of the Five Rings I sent the enchanted sword home to my family and kept my Katana. In all of these cases someone didn’t like my choice and felt I wasn’t playing the game to its highest level. I probably could have written about any of these choices.

However, I decided to talk about the weapon I had the most conversations about; a sledgehammer. In 4th edition D&D Adventure League one of the charters I played most often was Brac, a wood elf barbarian with sledgehammer. Adventure League was a set of rules that allowed you to play the same character at conventions, gaming clubs, and private events all over the world. It gave a set of guide lines that formed what you could and couldn’t do to your character. It made it easy to have characters ready to play in different places and have characters ready for when you go to a con.

With Brac there were many conversations about his weapon. I used a sledgehammer, or maul to use the games official name for the weapon. It was a 2-handed hammer; you know, exactly like a sledgehammer. The idea for Brac was it would be fun to play a wood elf barbarian with a sledge hammer. The disconnect for most people wasn’t that I was using a sledgehammer, It was that I wasn’t using a Mordenkrad.

A Mordenkrad is a dwarven 2-handed hammer designed for war. The reason most people argued that I should be using it was because it was a better weapon. The sledgehammer dealt 1D10 damage the Mordenkrad did 1D12. The Mordenkrad also had a rule that let you reroll every 1 and 2 you rolled for damage to get higher numbers. Since I was a barbarian there would be times I’d roll six and seven dice so getting to reroll those 1 and 2’s would have been a big deal. The only drawback was you needed to use a feat to use a Mordenkrad. You only ever go so many feats but most people felt it was worth it to use one of them to get their hands on the Mordenkrad. Objectively they were right. The Mordenkrad was a better weapon. Even giving up one feat to use this one specific weapon would have been a small price to pay. The only problem, it wasn’t a sledgehammer.

The entire basis for Brac was that it would be fun and funny to play a wood elf barbarian with a sledgehammer and it was. Brac cut a striking image, a muscular wood elf barreling across the field screaming at the top of his lungs and swinging a sledgehammer. This was layered out by me using all of Brac’s feat to take anything that improved his movement and charge attacks. Brac sprinted into battle; usually far ahead of the rest of the party. I like to quote Donald Suttherland from Kelly’s Heroes when asked about Brac’s speed. “He liked to get out of trouble as quickly as he got in.” Giving up any of that for the use of a Mordenkrad felt wrong.

But the main reason for the sledgehammer and this article on weapon is based on the nature of sledgehammers; their tools. Sledgehammers have a specific purpose, they exist to destroy. You don’t build or create with sledgehammers, you tear things down. That’s all they’re good for.

A Mordenkrad on the other hand was a weapon of war. It was designed to be used in combat by warriors. A Mordenkrad was meant to be used my tactical thinking soldiers. People who went into battle and judged which foe would be the best target.

Brac was a sledgehammer. His entire job was to go into battle, sprint at the biggest thing on the field, and wreck it until he couldn’t swing any more. Brac wielding a sledgehammer became a deliberate choice. Again, it started as it would be fun and funny to use a sledgehammer. In the end, the idea that a wood elf used a sledgehammer meant something. It wasn’t an axe or sword which were more typical weapons for barbarians. It wasn’t a club which would have been closer to what a wood elf might use being most often made of natural materials like wood or bone. A sledgehammer was a manufactured tool. It was something Brac had to go and find. It was a weapon that wouldn’t have been readily available in the forest where he grew up. That Brac used a sledgehammer was as much a part of his personality as was his need to protect his friends, eventually kill a dragon, or launch himself at the biggest thing on the battlefield.

I never minded having the conversation about Brac using a Mordenkrad. I understood why people brought it up. But it never felt like the thing Brac would do. Still it was fun to hear their reasons for it.

To this day I remember few of the characters I played with in Adventure League. I can point to a warden who set me on fire several times, a dwarf cleric who managed to keep Brac from going unconscious for an entire fight, and one or two others. Most of the characters blended together. They were all some version of the best way to roll up character X. I sometimes wonder if any of them remember Brac and his sledgehammer.

Maybe they did, or maybe it’s just me hoping he was unique enough to remember.

Tomorrow, Throne. How the hell am I going to talk about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment